Rose slugs are small yellow-green larvae (about 1/4″ long) that skeletonize the upper leaf surface. Signs of feeding include dry brown blotches, where all of the leaf except the veins and the lowest layer of leaf tissue are removed. Rose slugs are not true slugs, but are actually the larvae of a sawfly. They rarely occur in large numbers but can do considerable aesthetic damage.
Use Integrated Pest Management (IPM) for successful plant problem management.
Select non-chemical management options as your first choice!
- Hand-pick and destroy individual rose slugs.
- Wash rose slugs off foliage with a strong stream of water.
IMPORTANT: Visit Home and Garden Fact Sheets for more information on using pesticides.
- Apply when first noticed.
- These products are toxic to bees.
- Sevin (carbaryl) is particularly dangerous to bees. Avoid using carbaryl if there is any possibility of pesticide drifting onto nearby blooming plants.
Listed below are examples of pesticides that are legal in Washington. Always read and follow all label directions.